St. Peter's Roman Catholic Church is located at 1529 Assembly St. in Columbia
, South Carolina
. This is the second building of the oldest Catholic parish in Columbia and the Midlands of South Carolina.The first resident Catholic priest came to Columbia in 1820. St. Peter's first church, designed by the South Carolina architect Robert Mills, was completed in 1824. This church was demolished in the early 1900s to build the new sanctuary.
The new church was designed by Frank Pierce Milburn, a Southern architect. The planning and fundraising was done largely by Father Thomas J. Hegarty. Construction started in 1906 and was completed in 1908.The Gothic Revival church was built with dark red brick with Bedford limestone and dull glazed terra cotta trim. The roof was Buckingham Slate. The spire is topped with a cross and is 163 ft (49.7 m) above grade.The St. Peter's Church is on the National Register of Historic Places.