Skvyra is a town in the Kiev Oblast (province) of central Ukraine. It is the administrative center of the Skvyra Raion (district), and is currently a municipality of raion subordinance. Skvyra currently has a population of about 18,009 and an area of 6,328 km2 (2,443 sq mi). The ancient town of Skvyra was completely destroyed at the end of the 16th century. In 1736, Skvyra was mentioned as a village (selo) leased by a Jewish lessee. According to the census of 1765, there were 124 houses in Skvyra, 51 of which belonged to Jews. In 1775, 116 Jews lived in Skvyra, in 1784 there were 204, and in 1787, 144.
After Skvyra was included in the Pale of Settlement, the town’s Jewish community increased. In 1847, the Jewish population amounted to 2,184 people, and in 1897 there were 8,910 Jews in the town (49.5% of the general population). At the end of the 19th century, there were seven synagogues, a parochial school, a hospital, a chemist and a district doctor in Skvyra. Many Jews were involved in grain and timber export. By 1910 the town housed a Talmud Torah, a Jewish private boys’ school and two private girls’ schools.