Anderson Bridge is a vehicular bridge that spans across the Singapore
River. It is located near the river's mouth in the Downtown Core
Planning Area of Singapore's Central Area. The bridge was completed in 1910, and was named after the Governor of the Straits Settlements and High Commissioner for the Federated Malay States (1904–1911), Sir John Anderson, who officially opened the bridge on 12 March 1910. It formed part of the Singapore Grand Prix's Marina Bay Street Circuit
, which debuted on 28 September 2008.
Anderson Bridge was built with the intention to replace the overloaded Cavenagh Bridge
as the link between the government administrative area in the Civic District on the northern bank and the Commercial District (now Raffles Place
) on the southern bank of the Singapore River. Due to the flourishing trade on the Singapore River by the 1880s, Cavenagh Bridge could not support the increasingly heavy traffic into town.
Despite the building of Ord Bridge and Read Bridge, the traffic situation did not improve and in fact worsened following the widening of Battery Road. Its low draught was also insufficient for the passage of boats at high tide. However, when Anderson Bridge was completed in 1910, Cavenagh Bridge was spared from demolition and was converted to a pedestrian bridge, with heavier vehicles, horse and ox carts being diverted to Anderson Bridge.
Anderson Bridge today
In the 1990s, due again to the increasing vehicular traffic flow between the northern and southern bank of the Singapore River, the Esplanade Bridge was built to provide faster access between Marina Centre
and the financial district of Shenton Way. Construction of the 260-metre long bridge in front of the mouth of the Singapore River began in early 1994 and was completed in 1997.
Anderson Bridge currently still serves as a vehicular bridge, and connects the financial district directly to City Hall. The bridge is located near The Fullerton Hotel (previously Fullerton Building) and the former Merlion Park.