Doctor's Cave Beach Club, Montego Bay (also known as Doctor's Cave Bathing Club) has been one of the most famous beaches in Jamaica for nearly a century.
It is noted for its crystal-clear turquoise waters and near-white sand. Its sheltered location provides calm waters encouraging even the most diffident swimmers to practice safely.
Dr. Alexander James McCatty had founded a sanatorium in Montego Bay in 1880. He allowed his friends, including several doctors, to bathe at his small beach, which was entered through a cave. In 1906 he donated the property to the community, and the private members club was formed, which continues to this day.
In the 1920s, Sir Herbert Barker, an English osteopath, visited the beach and was impressed by the curative powers of the waters. He wrote an article which helped the beach become well known and gradually hotels were built nearby so that tourists could enjoy the beach.