Santa Maria Capua Vetere is a town and comune in the province of Caserta, part of the region of Campania (southern Italy).
Though it is not connected with the Civitas Capuana, the town is a medieval place and its nearness to the Roman amphitheatre led the inhabitants to change its name in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, where Capua Vetere means Old Capua.
The main landmark of Santa Maria Capua Vetere is the Basilica of Santa Maria Maggiore, founded, according to the tradition, by Pope Symmachus in the 5th century. The church had originally a single nave, but was enlarged by Lombard Prince Arechis II of Benevento in 787. Another renovation was carried out in 1666 by Cardinal Robert Bellarmine, with the addition of two further aisles; the current Late Baroque appearance dates to the 1742-1788 works, during which the precious mosaic area of the apse was destroyed.