San Giorgio Maggiore is one of the islands of Venice, northern Italy
, lying east of the Giudecca
and south of the main island group. The isle is surrounded by Canale della Grazia, Canale della Giudecca, Saint Mark Basin, Canale di San Marco and the southern lagoon. It forms part of the San Marco sestiere.
San Giorgio is now best known for the Church of San Giorgio Maggiore, designed by Palladio and begun in 1566.
The Monastery of San Giorgio was established in 982, when the Benedictine monk, Giovanni Morosini asked the doge Tribuno Memmo to donated the whole island for a Monastery. In the early 19th century, after the Republic fell, the monastery was almost suppressed and the island became a free port with a new harbour built in 1812. It became the home of Venice's artillery.
It is now the headquarters of the Cini Foundation arts centre, known for its library and is also home to the Teatro Verde open-air theatre.