Palazzo Panciatichi or Palazzo del Balì is a medieval building in Pistoia
, central Italy
It was begun in 1320 by Vinciguerra Panciatichi, a rich Ghibelline (later Guelph) banker, as a fortified private residence. It has a stone facade with three floors (the lower with arches) ending with a large Renaissance gutter. Of the original Guelph merlons, only some can be seen on the eastern side. An uncommon feature of Italian contemporary architecture were the squared windows, which were more widespread in French Gothic architecture or in Aosta Valley
at the time.
The interior houses a portico with a garden, a large staircase leading to the first floor, which has a hall with wooden ceiling, and a loggia.
The palace housed pope Alexander V in 1409-1401 and Lorenzo de' Medici's family in 1478. In 1500 it was burnt by Panciatichi family's enemies, and later restored. It took its nickname from Cellesi family, who had received the title of "balì" of the Order of St. Stephen, and who resided here from 1579.
Palazzo Panciatichi was damaged by an Allied aerial bombing in 1943 and remained abandoned until its restoration in 1965-1967. It currently houses the council of the province of Pistoia.