San Michele is an island in the Venetian Lagoon
, northern Italy
. It is associated with the sestiere of Cannaregio
, from which it lies a short distance northeast.
Along with neighbouring San Cristoforo della Pace, the island was a popular place for local travellers and fishermen to land. Mauro Codussi's Chiesa di San Michele in Isola
of 1469, the first Renaissance church in Venice
, and a monastery lie on the island, which also served for a time as a prison.
San Cristoforo was selected to become a cemetery in 1807, designed by Gian Antonio Selva, when under French occupation it was decreed that burial on the mainland (or on the main Venetian islands) was unsanitary. The canal that separated the two islands was filled in during 1836, and subsequently the larger island became known as San Michele. The cemetery is still in use today.
Other attractions include the Cappella Emiliana chapel.