Fermo is a town and comune of the Marche, Italy, in the Province of Fermo. Fermo is located on a hill, the Sabulo (elevation 319 m) with a fine view, on a branch from Porto San Giorgio on the Adriatic coast railway.
The great antiquity of the city is attested by the remains of its cyclopean walls. The ancient Firmum Picenum was founded as a Latin colony, consisting of 6000 men, in 264 BC, after the conquest of the Picentes, as the local headquarters of the Roman power, to which it remained faithful.
- The Roman theater.
- The Church of Saint Francis.
- The cathedral, reconstructed in 1227.
- The Palazzo Comunale, restored in 1446.
- Large Roman reservoir in two stories, belonging to the imperial period.
The near municipality of Porto San Giorgio has a fine castle of 1269, blocking the valley that leads to Fermo.