The Chiesa Nuova is a church in Assisi
, built in 1615 on the site of the presumed birth place of St. Francis, the house of Pietro di Bernardone. It was then called Chiesa Nuova because it was the last church to be built in Assisi at that time.
This church, built in late Renaissance style, features a high dome divided in coffers, with lantern and a drum. Such a caisson ceiling is a feature of Renaissance architecture. It built in the form of a Greek cross, with nave and transepts of the same length, inspired by the Roman Church SantEligio degli Orefici, one of the few churches designed and built by Raphael. The church is decorated with frescoes by Cesare Sermei and Giacomo Giorgetti (17th century).
The high altar was set over the room of St. Francis. One can also visit the shop where Francis sold his cloth and the stairwell in which Francis was imprisoned by his father. This is the place where Francis decided to answer the divine call and to renunciate worldly goods.
The adjoining friary houses a museum and an important Franciscan library with many codices and rare books.