Angera is a town and comune located in the province of Varese, in the Lombardy region of northern Italy. In Roman times, under the name of Angleria, it was an important lake port and road station. Angera received the title of city by Duke Ludovico il Moro of October 7, 1497. Today its major feature is the Rocca, an imposing castle of very ancient origin. The area offers good wines and lovely panoramas over Lago Maggiore.