Fort Rotterdam was a fort built in Makassar on the island of Sulawesi in Indonesia and was seized by the Dutch in the 1670s. It was originally known as Ujung Pandang, named after the screwpine pandanus pal which grew in the region and was used for making mats. The fort became a center of Dutch colonial power in Sulawesi. Near the end of the Early Modern Period (1500 to 1700).
In the middle modern period from 1700 to 1900 it was a thriving trading post as the Dutch East India Company continued to grow and eventually by the late modern period that began in 1900 it was intregrated into a united Dutch East Indies colony. It was also used as a Japanese prisoner of war camp in World War II. There are several modest museum exhibitions in various rooms in the Fort. Various local publications about South Sulawesi may also be purchased from a bookstore at the Fort.