Fort Belgica, most impressive of the many forts built by the Dutch East India Company, is located on Bandaneira Island in the Banda Islands, Maluku Province, Indonesia. Constructed in 1611, under the orders of Pieter Both, first Governor-General of the Dutch East Indies, Fort Belgica was built to fortify the hill which dominated the original Dutch fortress, Fort Nassau, Banda Islands, in order to prevent others doing the same.
Originally built as a standard VOC four bastioned quadrilateral fort, by the mid seventeenth century earthquakes, the tropical monsoonal climate, and poor original construction materials and techniques had resulted in the structure becoming dilapidated. In 1667, Governor Cornelis Speelman instructed Engineer Adriaan de Leeuw to redesign and reconstruct the fort, the major modification works being completed by 1673. The new design consisted of a low outer pentagonal structure with five angled corner bastions and a higher inner pentagon with five tall circular towers. It was the only fort of this kind throughout the Banda Islands.
World Heritage Status:
This site was added to the UNESCO World Heritage Tentative List on in the Cultural category.