Tipu Sultan Museum is housed inside Daria Daulat Bagh, which is an ancient monument of national importance. The museum exhibits confined to the ground floor of the palace and mostly pertaining to Tipu Sultan, consists of oil paintings, pencil sketches, aquatints and engravings, coins and medals, costumes, furniture, arms, etc. In the back ground behind the fort walls are part of Tipu’s palace, the minarets of the mosque and the gopura of the Ranganatha Swami temple.
A portrait of Tipu Sultan depicts him wearing a turban, a striped shirt. A necklace, a girth belt and a stone-studded cross belt to which is attached a sword. The artist was G.F. Cherry who painted it in 1792. Another full portrait of Tipu Sultan as prince painted by John Zoffany in 1780 is on display.
Medals of different metals like silver, copper and bronze issued by the English, commemorating their victory over Tipu are also exhibited. Among the other exhibits mention may be made the costume of Tipu, a payjama, a silk coat and a straw hat, two silver bowels presented by him to the Ranganathaswami temple, a hand made paper manuscript in Persian dealing with the military code of regulations, furniture comprising of chairs, sofa with backrest, couch and a rosewood roundtable, a brass cannon, daggers, swords, pistols and muskets besides iron cannons.