The Sultan Battery watch tower, constructed in 1784 by Tipu Sultan, is situated 4 km from Mangalore
city, the chief port city of the Indian state of Karnataka
. Built in black stones, the tower gives the impression of a miniature fortress with its arrangements for mounting cannons all-round. It was built to prevent English warships from entering the Gurupura river It was constructed from stones of churches destroyed by Tipu Sultan, during his 15-year imprisonment of the Mangalorean Catholics and the other Christians.
There is rumored to be an as-yet-undiscovered cave near this location that is the entrance to a tunnel that reaches Tippu's fort in Srirangapatnam.