Siri Fort, in the city of New Delhi, was built during the rule of Ala-ud-Din Khalji of the Delhi Sultanate to defend the city from the onslaught of the Mongols. It was the second of the seven cities of medieval Delhi built around 1303 (stated to be the first entirely constructed by Muslims), which at present is seen only in ruins with a few remnants (Pictured). Near the Siri Fort ruins modern auditoriums, the Asiad Games Village Complex and residential and commercial establishments fill the modern landscape between the Khel Gaon Marg and the Auro Bindo Marg in the heart of South Delhi.
According to the legend of Ala-ud-din’s war exploits, the name Siri given to the Fort was because the foundation of the fort was built on the severed heads (‘Sir’ in Hindi means “head”) of about 8,000 Mongol soldiers killed in the war.Another version of the legend refers to the war crimes committed by Allauddin when the Mongol army was defeated and the captured soldiers were brought to Siri and trampled by elephants, then their severed heads were hung on the walls of the Siri Fort.
The rest of the structures remained unexplored by Archeologists and these were unknowingly buried when the Asiad Village Complex was built in 1982 for the Asiad 1982. ASI has now launched an excavation programme, since December 2008, to unearth some portions of the wall concealed for centuries which will enable exposing the entire wall providing a continuous link with the earlier excavated stretches of the wall.