The Viceregal Lodge, also known as Rashtrapati Niwas is located on the Observatory Hills of Shimla, Himachal Pradesh. It was formerly the residence of the British Viceroy of India. It houses some of the most articles and photographs going back to the times of the British rule in India. The Viceregal Lodge was designed by British architect Henry Irwin and built in the Jacobethan style during the regime of Lord Dufferin. Its construction started in 1880 and was completed in 1888. Lord Dufferin occupied the lodge on July 23, 1888.
The summer capital of British India was of little use to the President of India who visited it only for a few days in the year, if at all. Professor S.Radhakrishnan thought of putting it to academic use. The Rashtrapati Nivas Estate was transferred to the Ministry of Education to be handed over to the Indian Institute of Advanced Study. The C.P.W.D., the Himachal Pradesh High Court, and the Himachal Pradesh University were allowed in due course to use some of its buildings but the bulk of the Estate, including its well kept lawns and rich glass-house, has remained in use for the Indian Institute of Advanced Study.