Mehrauli is a neighbourhood in the South West district of Delhi in India. It represents a constituency in the legislative assembly of Delhi. The area is located close to Gurgaon and next to Vasant Kunj.
Geography And Climate:
Mehrauli lies in the South West district of Delhi. To its north lies Hauz Khas
. Vasant Kunj lies to its West and Tughlakabad to its south.Like the rest of Delhi, Mehrauli has a semi-arid climate with high variation between summer and winter temperatures. While the summer temperatures may go up to 46 °C, the winters can seem freezing to people used to a warm climate with near 0 °C.The soil of Mehrauli consists of sandy loam to loam texture. The water level has gone down in the recent past hovering between 45 m to 50 m due to rise in population.
Though Mehrauli is like any ordinary neighbourhood today, its past is what distinguishes it in terms of architecture. Yet the famous conservation architect AGK Menon is doing all he could to displace the indigenous population and return Mehrauli to its past glory, as accorded by the British Colonial norms.Even though the capital shifted from Mehrauli after the Slave dynasty rule came to an end, many other dynasties contributed significantly to Mehrauli's architecture.The most visible piece of architecture remains the Qutb complex which was initiated by Qutub ud din Aybak with subsequent additions by Iltutmish and Alauddin Khilji.The Qutb complex is today a UNESCO World
heritage site.,and also the venue for the annual Qutub Festival.
Mausoleum of 13th century, Sufi saint, Khwaja Qutbuddin Bakhtiar Kaki is also situated near the Qutub Minar Complex, and the venue for the annual Phoolwalon-ki-sair Festival. The dargah complex also houses graves of later Mughal emperors, Bahadur Shah I, Shah Alam II, and Akbar II, in an adjacent marble enclosure. To the left of the dargah, lies Moti Masjid
, a small mosque, built for private prayer by the son of Aurangzeb, Bahadur Shah I.
- Adam Khan Tomb - Also known as Bhool Bhulaiya is situated next to Aggarwal Sweets and near Bus Stand.
- Aggarwal Sweets - A Sweets Shop situated next to Mehrauli Bus Stand.
- Ambawata Complex - A Fashion shopping complex situated near Mehrauli Bus Stand, opposite Aggarwal Sweets and on the road from Bus Stand to Kalu Ram Chowk.
- Gandhak ki Baoli - It is an ancient step well located near Mehrauli Post Office.
- Main Market - A very big market in South Delhi, starts from Mehrauli Bus Stand and stretches till Andheria Mod.
- Rajon Ki Baoli - 16th century stepwell near Gandhak ki Baoli.