The Indian Institute of Technology Ropar (IIT Ropar), sometimes referred to as Indian Institute of Technology Punjab (IIT Punjab), is an engineering and technology higher education institute located in Rupnagar, Punjab, India. It is one of the eight new Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs) established by the Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India under The Institutes of Technology (Amendment) Act, 2011 which declares these eight IITs as well as the conversion of Institute of Technology, Banaras Hindu University to IIT.
Campus & Location:
IIT Ropar is located at Rupnagar (formerly known as Ropar) town of the district Rupnagar. Rupnagar was founded in the 11th century and named after Rup Sen son of Raja Rokeshar. Recent excavations and explorations conducted at Rupnagar indicate that the first settlements here were the Harappans, who reached the upper Satluj towards the close of third millennium B.C. The district has rich historical and religious significance. Rupnagar town, the district headquarters is 42 km. from Chandigarh, the state capital. Rupnagar is well connected by road on National Highway NH-21.
The Delhi-Ambala-Una railway line passes through Rupnagar and provides good rail connectivity. The nearest airport is at Chandigarh at a distance of about 60 km. The Satluj river passes close to Rupnagar. The climate is characterized by its general dryness, except during the south-west monsoon season, a hot summer and a cold winter. The winter is from mid-November to February, summer from March to June and the monsoon from late June to mid-September. The average annual rainfall in the district is about 776 mm with about 78% in the period of June to September.
In its first year, i.e. academic year 2008-2009, three undergraduate programmes were offered. Admission to these programmes is through the JEE and students are admitted after completing 10+2 (high-school level) schooling.
- Bachelor of Technology in Computer Science and Engineering
- Bachelor of Technology in Electrical Engineering
- Bachelor of Technology in Mechanical Engineering
IIT Ropar also offers admissions for Ph.D. in Computer Science and Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics and Philosophy.
Collaborations In Hand and The Future Plans:
IIT Ropar is keen to start collaborative ventures with universities, industries, and other research institutes (both in India and outside India). In sequel to the agreement signed between the Prime Minister of India and its counterpart in UK in June 2008, a number of universities and their consortia have expressed keen interest in collaborating with IIT Ropar. In the last few months, the Director, Prof. Surappa, has signed a number of MOUs with his counterparts in various universities in the United Kingdom
. They have also had several visitors from universities abroad with a view to establish partnership in research and teaching.
The institute, apart from establishing robust teaching environment, is keen to facilitate and support cutting-edge research in a variety of areas. This aspect will enable the students to acquaint themselves with latest development in their respective areas of study and pursue their own research interests. This would also result in a constant revision of the contents of courses that are being taught.
The institute encourages its faculty members to initiate research work and provides an initiation grant and also the basic facilities for its sustenance. It also encourages faculty members to establish collaborative research ventures with other research lab and industry. In this regard, the institute is keen to establish Central Research Facility. The institute has already started its PhD programme, so that the research environment is further augmented, expanded, and made even more vibrant.
Extra Curricular Activities:
- Hostel Facilities
- Medical Facility
- Sports Facilities
- Central Library
- Societies & Clubs: There are various societies being run by the student body at the institute to promote extra currulicular and co-curricular activities. These clubs ensure participation from the students in different institute level activities & competitions, and prepare them for inter-college competitions. The Fine Arts Club, The Music Society, The Dance Club, LitSoc- The Literary Society, The Chess Club, The Athletics Club, The Creative Writing Club, Science and Technology Club, etc. are managed by the respective student representatives and a secretary.
- Zeitgeist: Zeitgeist is the annual cultural festival of IIT Ropar. The first edition of the festival was held in September 2010 with the theme "The Spirit of the Times" (the meaning of the word Zeitgeist). It was sponsored by Hero Honda and the star performers were Faridkot, The Band. The festival in November 2011 opened on even a bigger platform with two special on-stage performances of Bandish and the Punjabi singer "Alfaaz". Now, the third version of Zeitgeist is going to be held soon starting from 31st January 2013 to 2nd February 2013.