Indian Institute of Technology Ghati (IIT Guwahati, IITG) is an autonomous engineering and technology-oriented institute of higher education established by the Government of India, located in Guwahati, in the state of Assam in India. It is the sixth Indian Institute of Technology established in India. IITG is officially recognised as an Institute of National Importance by the government of India.
Campus And Geography:
The campus of IITG is on the northern banks of Brahmaputra and abuts the North Guwahati town of Amingaon, pincode-781039. The campus is on a 700 acres (2.8 sq km) plot of land around 20 km from the heart of the city. It has the majestic Brahmaputra on one side and hills and vast open spaces on others.
IIT Guwahati houses the following departments:
Department of Biotechnology, Department of Chemical Engineering, Department of Chemistry, Department of Civil Engineering(CE), Department of Urban & Regional Planning (URP), Department of Water Resources Engineering, Department of Computer Science and Engineering, Department of Design, Department of Electronics & Electrical Engineering (previously known as Department of Electronics and Communication), Department of Humanities and Social Sciences, Department of Physics, Department of Mathematics, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Department of Electrical & Electronics Engineering, Department of Industrial & Production Engineering.
The aforementioned departments of the Institute offer B. Tech., B. Des., M. Des., M. Tech., M.A (Development Studies), M.Sc. and Ph.D. programmes. Presently there are about 3948 students (2058 undergraduate and 1890 postgraduate) on rolls, 215 faculty members and 300 support staff.
IITG is home to six centres of research.
Student Life And Hostels:
- Centre for Educational Technology
- Centre for Nanotechnology
- Centre for Mass Media Communication
- Central Instruments Facility
- Centre for Energy
- Centre for the Environment
IIT Guwahati is a fully residential campus. The Gymhkana Club promotes the objectives of fostering extracurricular and co-curricular activities, welfare of students and their stay on the campus. All the students live in hostels on the campus. The hostels are named after rivers and tributaries of North-East India: Manas, Dihing, Kapili, Siang, Kameng, Barak, Subansiri (girl's hostel), Umiam, Dibang and Brahmaputra. Apart from these, there is a married scholars hostel for married postgraduates. Among these hostels Manas, Dihing, Kapili and Siang are the old hostels and are of unique infrastructure compared to fairly new ones Kameng, Barak, Umiam and Dibang which can accommodate more people compared to the old ones. Every hostel has its own mess and canteen(s).
IIT Guwahati has numerous sports facilities thanks to Student Activity Center (SAC) maintained by students Gymkhana. That include athletic ground, football ground, hockey ground, cricket ground, lawn tennis courts, badminton courts etc.. and a gym. Every year a set of students are selected from each sports category for 'Inter IIT Sports Meet', a set of sporting events occur in the winter at any one of the IIT's.
Every year the students and administration of IIT Guwahati together organize and number of festivals and competitions. Techniche, Alcheringa and IIT-Guwahati Entrepreneurship Summit are the conducted on a very large scale and are growing in terms of participation and sponsors.
- Techniche: Techniche is an annual techno-management festival of IIT Guwahati. Techniche is held in September every year over three days. Techniche provides students from schools and colleges across India a platform to interact with many experts in subject areas through its lecture series. It has been attended by P. Chidambaram, Kiran Bedi, H. C. Verma, Mike Fincke, John C. Mather and others. Techniche ’10 was held from September 2 to September 5. Techniche ’12 will be held from August 30 to September 2, 2012.
- Alcheringa: Alcheringa is the annual cultural festival of the IITG. It is held for 4 nights and 3 days generally on the first weekend of February. Started in 1996 by a bunch of IITG students, Alcheringa has a footfall of more than 40,000 and a participation from 150 colleges from across the country.