Farrukhnagar is a town and municipality in Gurgaon
district in Haryana
. It is one of the nine administrative blocks of Gurgaon district situated 21 km from Gurgaon and shares its border with Jhajjar
district. Established in 1732 by Faujdar Khan, the first Nawab of Farrukhnagar and a governor of Mughal Emperor (1713–1719) Farrukhsiyar in 1732, Farrukhnagar flourished due to its salt trade till the late 19th century, and later it was abandoned in early 20th century, during the British Raj.
Today, Mughal era monuments like Sheesh Mahal, Baoli and Jama Masjid built Faujdar Khan are popular visitors attractions. The town is connected to Garhi Harsaru
, south of Gurgaon, by railway line. The Sultanpur National Park
is situated in Farrukhnagar block on Pataudi
Farrukhnagar became a municipality in 1967. Efforts to revive the salt mining by the government failed, after a massive flood in 1970s watered down the saline level in the wells.The area saw steep rises in land prices starting 1990s, due to rapid urbanisation and industrialisation in the Gurgaon district, as a result small section large landowners amassed great wealth in short period, which also encouraged public splurging.
In 2007, the town made news in the global media, when a local Yadav farmer hired a private helicopter to ferry his son to his wedding, barely 20 km away.In the recent years, heritage structures in the town have attracted interest from various organisations including ASI and INTACH, which is proposing a "heritage walk" around town, and also plans to develop it as a heritage village.
The town plan was designed octagonal in shape and still remains so,and today, Sheesh Mahal, and Jama Masjid are noted Mughal era monuments situated in the town both build by the first Nawab, Faujdar Khan are important visitors attractions.
The palace of the Nawab of Farrukhnagar aligns the main bazaar of the town as do many other heritage structures in the town. Built by Faujdar Khan in 1711 CE, it is a double-storey structure in red sandstone, Mughal bricks and Jhajjar stone, used commonly in the buildings of the period in the district.
Dilli Darwaza (Delhi Gate), with its impressive bastion, is an important feature of the fort, it is one of three surviving entrances to the town, out of earlier five gated entrances which have slowly been built into by the growing town. The Dilli Darwaza was restored in 2009 by INTACH, along with the Patli Darwaza (after nearby Patli) and the Jhajjari Darwaza, (after nearby Jhajjar town).The rest of the fort though now mostly in ruins once housed over 4,000 people.
This Friday Mosque was also built by Faujdar Khan, in red sandstone. Two slabs of red sandstone on the southern wall bear Arabic inscriptions dating to the period of Sultan of Delhi, Ghiyas ud din Balban (1200–1287).
Baoli Ghaus Ali Shah:
A large octagonal Baoli stepwell, also known as Ali Gosh Khan Baoli, with stone staircases is considered a monument of importance and has been restored after it was taken over by ASI.
Sethani Ki Chhatri:
An elaborate memorial cenotaph in the shape of a two-storeyed chhatri, which is a pillar pavilion is situated on the Jhajjar road at the entrance to the town. It has eight arched openings on each floor and floral decorative motifs are used profusely. Chhatri though typical to Rajasthani architecture, it was later adapted into Mughal architecture. The name suggests that it belonged to a merchants wife, and is decorated with inscriptions and frescoes from Haroti region in Rajasthan.
The temple is dedicated to Hindu Gods, Rama-Sita, and also serves the purpose of Gurdwara, though the structure with its three domes, resembles a mosque.
Sultanpur National Park:
The Sultanpur National Park is also situated close by on the road to Gurgaon, and is a haunt for many migratory birds during the winter months.
A set of old havelis in the main town are in good condition, and boast of frescoes, and post-Mughal architectural features.
Shrine of Budho Mata:
The nearby village Mubarakpur 5 km from Farrukhnagar, is famous for this shrine, where a fair is held every Wednesday.
Farrukhnagar Railway Station:
Built during the British Raj it was opened when the first meter gauge railway track in India, was opened between Delhi to Rewari
(84 km) on 14 February 1873, along with a branch line from Garhi Harsaru to Farukhnagar (12 km) specifically for the salt trading. The metre gauge railway line was closed in 1994 for gauge conversion, and reopened as broad gauge track in 2011.