Eturnagaram Wildlife Sanctuary is a wildlife sanctuary located in Eturnagaram village in Warangal district in Andhra Pradesh, India. It is located 250 km (160 mi) away from Hyderabad. Andhra Pradesh has splendid wildlife reserves, one of such is the Eturnagara wildlife sanctuary, which is 55 km (34 mi) from Warangal. The sanctuary is located near the Maharashtra, Madhya Pradesh and Andhra border. It is one of the oldest sanctuaries of Andhra Pradesh. In the year 1952 on 30 January the erstwhile Hyderabad Government because of its rich bio-diversity declared it as a sanctuary.
The land is undulating from steep slopes to gentle slopes from west to east. Three-quarters of the area consist of a plain while the rest is hilly with many streams and springs. Godavari River passes through the sanctuary. The vegetation here is tropical dry deciduous with teak and other trees of good quality standing 60 ft (18 m) and above. The biennial festival of Sammakka Saralamma Jatara is held in the sanctuary.
Flora And Fauna:
The sanctuary has southern tropical dry deciduous type of teak and its associates like thiruman, maddi, and bamboo, madhuca, terminalia, pterocarpus.
A perennial water source called "Dayyam Vagu", divides the sanctuary into almost two halves. It is home to Tiger, Leopard, Wolf, Dholes, Golden jackals, Sloth bear, Chousingha, Blackbuck, Nilgai, Sambar, Spotted deer, Chinkara, Indian giant squirrels and many kinds of birds. Reptiles like Mugger crocodile, Python, Cobra, Kraite, Star.
Park Specific Information:
- Location : 55 km (34 mi) From Warangal, Andhra Pradesh.
- Coverage area : 812 km2 (314 sq mi).
- Main attractions : Tiger, Panther, Gaur, Sambar, Cheetal, Nilgiri, Black Buck.
- Best time to visit : October to May
- Accommodation : Forest Cottages and Rest House Tadvai, ITDA Guest House at Eturnagaram.
- By rail : Nearest railway station is at Warangal (90 km.)
- By air : Nearest Airport hyderabad.
- By road : BIt is well connected by Road. It is about 55 km (34 mi) from Warangal and 200 km (120 mi) from Hyderabad.
- Nearby excursions : Nearby cities : Warangal