Dhanaulti is a hill station 24 km (15 mt) from the popular hill station of Mussoorie, and 29 km (18 mt) from Chamba, as it is situated between the two. It is situated at an altitude of 2286m, and is known for its quiet environs amidst the alpine forests of Deodar, Rhododendron and Oak.
The summer temperatures in the town, range from 32°C to 37.5°C, while winter temperatures remain between 7°C and -1°C.
Places Of Interest:
- ECO-Park: It is the main attraction of Dhanaulti. There are two Eco-parks, "Amber" and "Dhara" about 200 m apart. It has been developed recently by the Forest Department of Uttarakhand with the help of local youth. About 60 local youth, both male and females are employed as Guides, Gardeners, Service providers, Ticket Collectors, Information Providers etc. It houses a protected patch of small forest containing Deodar Trees.There is an entry fee of Rs 15 For Adults and Rs 10 for Children. Mussoorie Forest Department is running Eco-huts for the tourists come to enjoy serene landscapes of Dhanaulti. These are built by green technology and are Eco-friendly.
- Surkanda Devi Temple: 8 km (5.0 mt) From Dhanaulti, on the road towards Chamba lies the Surkanda Devi Temple, famous for its Ganga Dussehra fair in autumn. It is part of the Devi Darshan triangle, which offers trekking opportunities around Dhanaulti - Surkanda Devi, Chandrabadni and Kunjapuri.
- Himalayan Weavers: Located on Mussoorie-Dhanaulti Road are the Himalayan Weavers who produce hand-woven shawls, stoles, scarves and throws using only natural dyes and wool, eri silk and pashmina. Their aim is to produce high quality handloom products, popularize the use of environmentally friendly natural dyes and provide a market for craft products made in the Himalayan region.
- Aaloo Khet (Potato Farm): A Government Potato Farm, also a popular sunrise view point.
It is 325 km (202 mt) from Delhi, an 8-9 hrs drive away. The nearest Airport is Jolly Grant Airport
82 km (51 mt) away, near Dehradun
, and nearest railway head is at Dehradun, 66 km (41 mt) away.
How To Get There:
Best Time To Visit:
- By Road: One can alternatively drive up to Dhanaulti. The distance is approx. 350 km from New Delhi and takes about 8 hours with traffic. Taxi's are available from Dehradun Railway Station & Jolly Grant Airport usually from early morning till late afternoon. Fare for a small car is about INR 1600.
- By Air: The closest airport is Jolly Grant, Dehradun at a distance of 80 km.
- By Rail: The nearest railway station is also Dehradun. The taxi stand is right next to the railway station and prepaid cabs to Dhanaulti are easily available at Rs 1500 (one way). The uphill drive is a picturesque one and usually takes less than 2 hours. For Advance booking/Inquiry call "Dehradun Taxi Stand # +91 9319664412".
Dhanaulti is pleasant and agreeable in the summer months, (May, June, July and August) and a light sweat shirt is more than enough to keep you warm. In winters, however, the mercury plummets and occasionally there is a snowfall that caps the tree tops and mountain peaks beautifully. Dhanaulti is very famous for snowfall (Dec-March) & breathtaking view of Gangotri