Chittaranjan Park, aka C.R. Park is an affluent neighbourhood in South Delhi, and home to a large Bengali community in Delhi. It is now known for its high property prices. It was established in the early 1960s under the name EPDP Colony or East Pakistan Displaced Persons colony, and was renamed after Deshbandhu (patriot) Chittaranjan Das, in 1980s. Today despite its growing cosmopolitan demographics, it remains home to a flourishing Bengali community, and hub to Kolkata-style street food stalls, offering Bengali cuisine, fish markets, temples and cultural centers.
The colony was founded with plots going exclusively to migrants from East Bengal, but over time, the demographics has become a little more pan-Indian, though it continues to attract other Bengalis in general. With an estimated 2000 Bengali families (about 2/3ds), it has emerged as the most important outpost of Bengali culture in the capital. The explosive growth of South Delhi property prices and the aging of the original land allottees is resulting in an ongoing demographic diversification.
Center Of Bengali Culture in Delhi:
The first big wave of Bengali settlers came when Calcutta and Delhi were first connected by train in 1864, thereafter with the shifting of capital to New Delhi
in 1911, the shifting to government employees' followed logically. Initially employees from central government departments like Post and Telegraph, Government of India
Press, Accountant General of Central Revenues (AGCR) and Railways were settled in Timarpur; thereafter in 1924, another phase of government housing came up near Gole Market, for employees of the Secretariat. Overtime many employees after retirement settled in Karol Bagh
and WEA, and later in South Delhi.