The Cannanore Lighthouse is located near the Payyambalam Beach
, a few kilometers from Kannur
town, in Kerala state, south India
. It is adjacent to the Sea View Park and the Government Guest House.The lighthouse is still active and overlooks the Arabian Sea.Cannanore is the old English name for the town named Kannur. The lighthouse at Kannur is still often referred to as the Cannanore Lighthouse.
Cannanore (now Kannur) was an important seaport under the 15th century rulers of Malabar, the Samoothiris (also known as the Zamorins). The port had maritime links with the ports of Madras, Colombo, Tuticorin, Alleppey, Mangalore, Bombay and Karachi.The Portuguese led by Vasco Da Gama first landed at Kappad Beach
in 1498. They built the St. Angelo Fort
at Kannur in the early 16th century. Almost two centuries later, the region came under the control of the British, who established a cantonment at Cannanore in the 19th century.
In 1924, some enhancements were made. The light was shifted in 1939 on to a 16 metre steel trestle erected on the northern bastion of the Fort. The steel trestle can still be seen today at the Fort.The equipment was replaced by a flashing light with 10 second character running on DA gas in 1948. This light remained in operation till the new lighthouse tower was constructed at the present location during 1975-76.
Cannanore Lighthouse Today:
Today, the light uses modern PRB-42 equipment with 6 volt, 30 watt Type 'C' sealed beam lamps, supplied by Messers J. Stone India, of Calcutta. The GI lantern house installed at the station is 2.4 meters in diameter and was fabricated at Cochin. The new lighthouse was commissioned into service on 25 July 1976.On 31 May 2003, the 'C' type sealed beam lamps were replaced by 'D' type sealed beam lamps. Today the lighthouse lights up the skies every night, and offers a solitary light that can be seen from the Baby beach and as far as Payyambalam.