Banaras Hindu University (commonly referred to as BHU) is a public central university located in Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh. Established in 1916 by Pandit Madan Mohan Malviya, BHU is one of the largest residential universities in Asia, with over 20,000 students.The university's main campus spread over 1,300 acres (5.3 km2) was built on land donated by the Kashi Naresh, the hereditary ruler of Banaras. The Rajiv Gandhi South Campus, spread over 2,700 acres (11 km2), hosts the Krishi Vigyan Kendra (Agriculture Science Centre) and is located in Barkachha in Mirzapur district, about 60 km (37 mi) from Banaras.
BHU is organized into 4 institutes and 14 Faculties(Streams) and more than 140 departments.Total student enrollment at the university exceeds 20,000, and includes students from over 34 nations.It has over 60 hostels for resident students. Several of its colleges, including engineering (IIT-BHU), science, linguistics, journalism & mass communication, performing arts, law, agriculture (IAS-BHU), medicine (IMS-BHU) and management (FMS), are ranked among the best in India.The university is well known for its Department of French Studies. The university's engineering institute was designated an IIT in June 2012.
BHU is located on the southern edge of Varanasi, near the banks of the River Ganges. Development of the main campus, spread over 1,300 acres (5.3 km2), started in 1916 on land donated by the then Kashi Naresh Prabhu Narayan Singh. The campus layout approximates a semicircle, with intersecting roads laid out along the radii or in arcs. Buildings built in the first half of the 20th century are fine examples of Indo-Gothic architecture.
The South campus of BHU is located in Barkachha in Mirzapur district,about 60 km (37 mi) southwest of the main campus. Spread over an area of over 2,700 acres (11 km2), it was transferred as a lease in perpetuity to the BHU by the Bharat Mandal Trust in 1979.It hosts the Krishi Vigyan Kendra (Agricultural Science Centre), with focus on research in agricultural techniques, agro-forestry and bio-diversity appropriate to the Vindhya Range region.The south campus features a lecture complex, library, student hostel and faculty housing, besides administrative offices.
BHU is organized into four institutes and fourteen Faculties(Streams). The institutes are administratively autonomous, with their own budget, management and academic bodies.
Apart from specialized centers directly funded by DBT, DST, ICAR and ISRO, a large number of departments under the Faculties of Sciences, Engineering, Technology and Social Sciences receive funding from the DST Fund for Improvement of Science & Technology Inrastructure (FIST) and the University Grants Commission (UGC) Special Assistance Programme (SAP). UGC SAP provides funds under its Centre of Advanced Study (CAS), Department of Special Assistance (DSA) and Departmental Research Support (DRS) programmes.