Pont de Neuilly is a station on Paris Métro Line 1, situated in the prosperous suburban commune of Neuilly-sur-Seine. Between 1940 and 1950 it was known as Pont de Neuilly, Avenue de Madrid. It is named after the Pont de Neuilly, a nearby bridge. The bridge - which carries parallel road and rail links between Neuilly and La Défense, over the river Seine - is in fact nearer to the Esplanade de la Défense station than to the Pont de Neuilly station. It was the western terminus of Line 1 from 1937 until 1992, when the western extension to La Défense was opened. Above the station lies an esplanade from which one can see the area of La Défense.