The Place Beauvau is a public square in the 8th arrondissement of Paris, at the intersection of the Rue du Faubourg-Saint-Honoré, the Avenue de Marigny, the Rue des Saussaies, and the Rue de Miromesnil. It is in the quartier (district) known as La Madeleine.
The Hôtel De Beauvau:
The Place Beauvau is best known for the hôtel de Beauvau, built by the architect Nicolas Le Camus de Mézières around 1770 for the prince, Charles Juste de Beauvau-Craon. In 1859, the French government purchased the building and installed the French governor-general of Algeria there. However, Victor Fialin, the duke of Persigny, who was Minister of the Interior under Napoléon III, arranged for his ministry to be moved from the Rue de Grenelle, in the 7th arrondissement, to this location.
The hôtel de Beauvau has housed the Ministry of the Interior since 1861, and "Place Beauvau" is often used by French news-gathering organizations as shorthand for that Ministry (as, say, one might use "Downing Street" in referring to the British prime minister.) The buildings to the north of the square are devoted to various services of the ministry.
Nearby Places of Interest :
- The Elysée Palace (Palais de l'Elysée), located on the Rue du Faubourg Saint-Honoré, is the official residence of the President of the French Republic, where the president's office is located, and the Council of Ministers meets.
- Important foreign visitors are hosted at the nearby Hôtel de Marigny (not a hotel in the English sense, but a palatial residence.)
- The Service de Protection des Hautes Personnalités (SPHP) is a French national police unit in charge of the protection of high-profile personalities who visit France. It is located just a few steps off the Place Beauvau in the Rue de Miromesnil.