The Chateau de la Muette is a chateau located on the edge of the Bois de Boulogne in Paris, France, near the Porte de la Muette. Three chateaux have been located on the site since a hunting lodge was transformed into the first chateau for Princess Marguerite de Valois, favorite daughter of King Henry II, sister of Kings Francis II, Charles IX and Henry III and the first wife of King Henry IV, in the 16th century. The first chateau was extended and substantially reconstructed by Louis XV. Louis XVI and Marie-Antoinette lived at this second chateau, and the first manned flight, in a hot air balloon, set off from the chateau in 1783.
The old chateau was demolished in the 1920s to make room for substantial houses, including a new chateau built by Henri James de Rothschild, which is now the Paris home of the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development. The meaning of muette is not certain. In modern French, it denotes a mute woman. However, the name of the chateau may be derived from several words in the French language: