Royal Oak tube station is a station of the London Underground, on the Hammersmith & City and Circle lines, between Westbourne Park and Paddington stations. The station is on Lord Hill's Bridge and is in Travelcard Zone 2 for the London Underground. Although not heavily used at other times, the station is extremely busy during the annual Notting Hill Carnival. Because of its low usage the ticket office is normally only open from 07.00 to 09.00, Mondays to Fridays, at other times ticket machines or Oyster cards must be used. There is no wheelchair access to the platform.
The station opened on 30 October 1871, although the Metropolitan Railway extension to Hammersmith had opened in 1864. It is close to the elevated Westway section of the A40 road. The station is named after a nearby public house, "The Royal Oak" (later "The Railway Tap" and now "The Porchester").