Hampstead Cemetery is a historic cemetery in West Hampstead, London, located at the upper extremity of the NW6 district. Despite the name, the cemetery is three-quarters of a mile from Hampstead Village, and bears a different postcode. It is jointly managed by Islington and Camden Cemetery Service and opens seven days a week, with closing times varying throughout the year.
Location and History:
Hampstead Cemetery is situated on Fortune Green Road and is bordered on the northern side by the Sports Ground of University College School. A public footpath running from Hocroft Road to Fortune Green runs through the cemetery, effectively splitting it in two. Hampstead Cemetery was consecrated by the Bishop of London and opened in November 1876. The entire site covers 26 acres (0.11 km2), and an estimated 60,000 people are buried there. While there are no new grave spaces available, there is an area for cremated remains to the north of the cemetery, by the Fortune Green Road exit.
The cemetery has a pair of Gothic style mortuary chapels, both of which are Grade II listed buildings. The southern chapel was originally Anglican, and the northern non-conformist; they share a common porte-cochère. Currently, only the southern chapel is in use as an inter-faith place of worship. There is also an entry lodge made of Kentish Rag and Bath stone. The Heritage Lottery Fund has funded restoration work on the buildings.
A large number of Celtic crosses can be found in the area to the southwest of the chapel, marking the presence of several Scottish families. The northeastern corner has some notable examples of modern and Art Deco stonemasonry, in particular the Bianchi monument and the sculpted church organ in memory of Charles Barritt.