Fetter Lane is a street in the ward of Farringdon Without in the City of London. It forms part of the A4 road and runs between Fleet Street at its southern end and New Fetter Lane, which continues north towards Holborn Circus.
The earliest mention of the street is "Faitereslane" in 1312. The name occurs with several spellings until it settles around 1612. There is no complete agreement about the origin of the name, but theories include: "Feuterer-lane" (feuterer = a keeper of dogs) and Fewtor/Faitour (a worthless fellow). At the southern end, towards Fleet Street, is situated Clifford's Inn, established in 1345. Towards the northern end, near Holborn, is Barnard's Inn. They were both Inns of Chancery. The official address of the old Public Record Office (1856-1997) was on Chancery Lane, but the back of this building dominates the southern stretch of Fetter Lane. It is now The Maughan Library belonging to King's College London.