Also called the New Tunnel, the Tunnel Engenheiro Marques Porto is located in the city and state of Rio de Janeiro , in Brazil . Actually it is two tunnels under the hill of Babylon, between the neighborhoods of Botafogo (current Av Lauro Sodré) and Copacabana (current Av Princesa Isabel), whose galleries were executed at different times.
Originally the Tunnel Engineer Coelho Cintra , inaugurated it as the Carioca Tunnel, which was more popularly known as the Tunnel of Leme. Work started in 1904 with the office of the Engineer Viana da Silva, under the administration of then-Mayor Francisco Pereira Passos and was opened in March 1906 . It received its current official name in 1937 in honor of the person responsible for opening the Old Tunnel, and extended in 1941. The construction of this gallery allowed at the time that the tram lines of Ferro Carril Company's Botanical Gardens to reach Post 6.
The Tunnel Engineer Marques Porto however, started work in 1946 and opened in 1949 as a second gallery. Tunnel Engenheiro Marques Porto received its official name in August 1951, in honor of the Engineer João Gualberto Marques Porto, its designer. Each of the galleries are currently two hundred and fifty meters in length by sixteen meters in width .