East West University (EWU) is a private university located in Dhaka
. It was established in 1996 by the Private University Act, 1992. It now has its own campus in Jahrul Islam City,Aftabnagar. In 2007, Webometrics ranked EWU third among all universities of Bangladesh (first among private universities in Bangladesh) and 64th in the Indian subcontinent in their World
Universities Ranking based on web visibility of electronic publication, scientific results and international activities.
In May 2012 the University shifted completely to a newly built building on a plot of about 8 bighas(2.23 acre) at Aftabnagar near Banashree and Bangladesh Television. It has a floor space of about 450,000 sq. ft. and is fitted with state of the art equipment and facilities.
Facilities And Services
East West University has a large library covering about 11000 sq ft. in the new campus with maps and journal area, and has a photocopy corner, database search corner, user friendly newspaper display section and convenient communication systems. Every day around 2,200 users visit this library. The Library contains 21,713 copy books, subscription of 135 international and national journals (hardcopy), 3,293 online journals on its database, subscription to 16 national daily newspapers and around 1,500 CD-ROMs and audio cassettes.
EWU is providing well equipped laboratory facilities for its different engineering and science disciplines. In addition to those, the university is also providing seven computer laboratories with a local network of 533 PCs and personal VSAT services. Universities laboratories are shared as follow:
- Computer Communications Laboratories, shared by all the departments of the university.
- Digital Systems Laboratory, shared by all the engineering department.
- Electronics Laboratory, shared by all the engineering department.
- Electrical Circuits and Machine Laboratory, used by only EEE department.
- Network Laboratory, shared by department of CSE and APCE.
- Pharmacy Laboratory, used by only department of Pharmacy.
- Physics Laboratory, shared by all the science and engineering departments.
- Telecommunication Laboratory, used by only APCE department.
- VLSI Laboratory, shared by CSE and EEE departments.
- Software Engendering Laboratory,shared by only CSE and departments.