Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib Medical University is the first and only medical university in Bangladesh. It is a public university, established in 1999. The university offers MD, PhD, MS, MPhil, MDS, Diploma and FCPS Courses. The current vice chancellor is Prof. Pran Gopal Datta.
The university is an autonomous body governed by a 24-member syndicate. BSMMU comprises 36 departments under 4 faculties. The university campus is located at Shahbag and has a 1500-bed hospital. BSMMU has an academic library known as BSMMU Central Library, and a digital library.
BSMMU campus has five multistoried buildings called Blocks A, B, C, D and Cabin Block.
- Block A (eight story) accommodates the library, lecture theatre, auditorium, students hostel, dental faculty and blood transfusion services.
- Block B (six story) - houses the administrative offices and nursing quarters. It is the original building of Hotel Shahbag,
- Block C (10 storey) - is the hospital,
- Block D, (17 story) - houses laboratories and emergency units,
- The Cabin Block is the casualty department and out-patient departments.