Aparan is a town in Armenia, located in the Aragatsotn province, about 50 kilometers north-north-west of Yerevan. It has a mixed population of Armenians and Kurds, numbering 5,711 as of the 2001 census.. The city was called Bash Aparan until 1935. The inhabitants of Aparan, are known as Aparantsi.
Historically, Aparan is located in Nig canton of Ayrarat Province of the Kingdom of Great Armenia. Aparan is located on Armenia's main north-south road which connects the Armenian capital Yerevan with the second largest city, Vanadzor, and to Georgia and its capital Tbilisi.