Wolcott is a town in New Haven County, Connecticut, United States. The population was 15,215 at the 2000 census. Wolcott was founded in 1796 and was originally named Farmingbury. It is primarily residential. According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 21.1 square miles (55km2), of which, 20.4 square miles (53km2) of it is land and 0.7 square miles (1.8km2) of it (3.22%) is water.