Wilton House Museum is a museum located in a historic house located in Richmond, Virginia. Wilton House was constructed c. 1753 in a Georgian style by William Randolph III, son of William Randolph II, of Turkey Island. Wilton was constructed as a tobacco plantation and located along the north bank of the James River several miles east of the city of Richmond. When the house was in danger of foreclosure the The National Society of the Colonial Dames of America intervened and saved the house from destruction by purchasing, dismantling, moving, and rebuilding it in 1934. Wilton was rebuilt in its current location in the West End of Richmond. Opened to the public since 1952, Wilton hosts a collection of 18th- and 19th-centuries furnishings, textiles, glass, ceramics, and silver that reflect the “planter” lifestyle of the mid-18th century.