William R. Fairchild International Airport (IATA: CLM, ICAO: KCLM, FAA LID: CLM) is a public airport located within the city limits of Port Angeles, in Clallam County, Washington, United States. It lies three nautical miles (6 km) northwest of the central business district of Port Angeles, near the Strait of Juan de Fuca. The airport is owned by the Port of Port Angeles.
The airport was developed from 1934 through 1948 by the Works Progress Administration, the U.S. Army and the U.S. Navy. It was named Clallam County Municipal Landing Field when ownership was given to Clallam County in 1948. Three years later the county transferred the airport to the Port of Port Angeles. In 1953, William R. Fairchild started the Angeles Flying Service and became the first airport supervisor. The airport was renamed in his honor in 1969, following his death in a tragic aircraft accident.
Facilities and aircraft :
William R. Fairchild International Airport covers an area of 797 acres (323 ha) at an elevation of 291 feet (89 m) above mean sea level. It has two asphalt paved runways: 8/26 is 6,347 by 150 feet (1,935 x 46 m) and 13/31 is 3,245 by 50 feet (989 x 15 m). The primary runway is operated with an Instrument Landing System and can handle aircraft up to Boeing 737s.
For the 12-month period ending February 1, 2005, the airport had 52,675 aircraft operations, an average of 144 per day: 88% general aviation, 12% air taxi, and <1% military. At that time there were 85 aircraft based at this airport: 92% single-engine, 6% multi-engine and 2% helicopter. Fairchild Airport is also home to Port Angeles' Civil Air Patrol squadron.