West Allis is a city in Milwaukee County, Wisconsin, United States. It is part of the Milwaukee metropolitan area. Its name derives from Edward P. Allis, who started the Allis-Chalmers Manufacturing Company in the 19th century. The site of the town was located west of Allis' plant. Originally, the community was called Honey Creek, which was changed to North Greenfield in the 1880s.. In 1902 the area was incorporated as the Village of West Allis, and became the City of West Allis in 1906.