Weehawken Street is a short street located in New York City's West Village, in the borough of Manhattan, one block from and parallel to West and Washington Streets, running between Christopher Street and West 10th Street. The land around Weehawken Street was at one time part of Newgate State Prison, built in 1796-97, until the prison was closed and razed and the city in 1829 sold the prison property off in lots. It held on to a strip of property, creating Weehawken Street and opening a produce market on the site, building the Market House in 1834.
The market-officially the Greenwich Market, but informally referred to as "Weehawken Market"-was unsuccessful and was closed in 1844, with the property sold to private buyers. Over the year, the area's buildings were used for dwellings, stables, boarding houses, maritime-related businesses, transportation-related businesses, clothing and supply stores and other miscellaneous industries, but a dominant use was for saloons and liquor stores, including bars and clubs catering to a "rough trade" gay clientele in the late 20th century.
On May 2, 2006, the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission designated all the buildings on Weehawken Street, plus additional properties on West Street and Christopher Street, as the Weehawken Street Historic District: