The Washington Park Historic District is a place on the National Register of Historic Places in Indianapolis, Indiana. It was placed on the Register on June 24, 2008. It comprises nearly 60 acres (240,000 m2) four miles (6 km) north of downtown Indianapolis, in the Meridian-Kessler neighborhood's south-central district, between Central Avenue and Pennsylvania Street (east to west), and between 40th and 43rd Streets (south to north), with Washington Boulevard running north-south in the center of the district. It includes 110 contributing buildings, ranging mostly from mansions to small bungalows, and three non-contributing buildings to the district's historic nature.
Washington Park was annexed by the city of Indianapolis in 1906. The streets would not be paved until November 1916, with 43rd Street not having sidewalks and pavement until 1923. The apartments in the district, built in the 1920s and 1930, attracted young professionals who not only liked the neighborhood, but saw it as "prestigious". The buildings in the district are a church (Holy Trinity Hellenic Greek Orthodox Church), two duplexes, a four-unit apartment building, eight doubles, 101 single houses, most of which built before World War II, and two non-contributing (historically) brick houses built in 1986 and 1987 that do not contrast with the other buildings. Many of the contributing buildings are different Revival architectural styles, particularly from Europe: Classical, Colonial, Italian Renaissance, and Tudor. Of particular note is the Harry Hartley house, which was based on Château de Malmaison, a residence of Napoleon Bonaparte. Harry Hartley sent architect William Earl Russ to the original in France to replicate the French chalet in a smaller form, in effect creating a Napoleon complex in Indianapolis.