Opened as the Lagoon Theater in 1913, the Uptown is one of the oldest surviving theaters in the Twin Cities area. It operated as the Lagoon until 1929 when it was remodeled and renamed. A fire in 1939 destroyed the theater and it was completely rebuilt by the firm of Liebenberg & Kaplan.
The structure has a 50-foot tower that once featured a revolving beam of light marking the Uptown area of Minneapolis and could be seen for miles around. It still offers the biggest screen in the city and has the only occupied balcony still in use in the Twin Cities. The theater stands at one of the busiest intersections in the Uptown area (Hennepin-Lagoon) and has been a landmark in the area for decades. The Uptown screens mostly foreign and art films and runs cult films at midnight screenings. Like other theaters it ran the Rocky Horror Picture Show for more than 15 years as a midnight offering (1978-1995, 2009-present).