Tremont is a town in Hancock County, Maine, United States. It is located on the southwestern side of Mount Desert Island, known to locals as "the quietside."
Tremont includes the villages of Bass Harbor (or McKinley), Bernard, Gotts Island, Seal Cove and West Tremont. Part of Acadia National Park lies within the town. Bass Harbor is the terminal for the Swan's Island ferry and the Frenchboro ferry. The population was 1,529 at the 2000 census.
Settled in 1762, it was incorporated on June 3, 1848 as Mansel, the name given the island by John Winthrop's company of emigrants to the Massachusetts Bay Colony in 1630. Two months later, on August 8 it was renamed Tremont, which means "three mountains" in French. By 1880, when the population was 2,011, the town had a sawmill, shipyard, gristmill, shingle mill and brickyard. Fishing and fish curing were the principal industries. Today, tourism is important to the economy.