T.O. Fuller State Park was the first state park east of the Mississippi River open to African Americans and only the second in the nation. The park was later changed from Shelby Bluffs to T.O. Fuller State Park in 1942 in honor of Dr. Thomas O. Fuller who spent his life empowering and educating African Americans.
The park is located in Shelby County
within the southern limits of the city of Memphis
. The park encompasses a total of 1,138 acres with a diversity of wildlife. With its abundance of local flora and fauna from the Mississippi flood plains to its high and overshadowing bluff ridges makes this area an ideal place for the birdwatcher or outdoor extremist.