The Level Club is a building in the Upper West Side neighborhood of New York City, located at 253 West 73rd Street. It was built as a men's club by a group of Freemasons in 1927; it served this original function for about three years. Afterwards, the building was used, in turn, as a hotel and a drug re-hab center. It has now been remodeled as a condominium.
The Neo-Romanesque building was designed by the New York architectural firm Clinton Russell Wells George and Holton. The facade was designed as an homage to Freemasonry, particularly by incorporating aspects of biblical descriptions of the Temple of Solomon, a significant building in Masonic tradition. The facade also features many carvings of symbols adopted by the Masons, such as the all-seeing eye, the hourglass, the level, the hexagram, the beehive and the Bible. The door is framed by two large pillars representing Boaz and Jachin, the pillars that stood at the entrance to King Solomon's Temple.
The figures at the base of the pillars represent two figures of Masonic significance Hiram Abiff and King Solomon. According to Bruno Bertuccioli, author of The Level Club: A New York City Story of the Twenties: Splendor, Decadence and Resurgence of a Monument to Human Ambition, the building was built as a Replica of the Jewish Temple. Bertuccioli describes the building as "the only true-to-size rendering of King Solomon's Temple that exists in the World today."
The building's original grand lobby, featuring a two story atrium with balcony and grand staircases is intact. The building originally included "a swimming pool, bowling alley, 4,000-seat auditorium, dining halls, gymnasium, racquetball courts, a club floor, billiards room and rooftop gardens." It did not include lodge meeting rooms. While none of these survive, the facade is "perfectly preserved." The building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1984.