is a historical plantation and museum located in Davidson County, Tennessee
, USA, 12 miles (19 km) east of downtown Nashville
. The plantation was owned by Andrew Jackson
, the seventh President of the United States
, from 1804 until his death at the Hermitage in 1845. Jackson only lived at the property occasionally until he retired from public life in 1837. It is a National Historic Landmark.
In 1889, the Hermitage was opened to the public as a museum, both of Jackson's life and the antebellum South in general. Each year, the home receives more than a quarter million visitors, making it the fourth most-visited presidential residence in the country (after the White House, Mount Vernon, and Monticello). The property was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1960.The tomb of Andrew and Rachel Jackson is located in the Hermitage garden.