The Corinthian is a 55-story apartment building that was New York City's largest apartment building when it opened in 1988. It was designed by Der Scutt, design architect, and Michael Schimenti. Its fluted towers with bay windows are unusual compared to the traditional boxy shape of buildings in the city, and it bears a resemblance to Marina City and Lake Point Tower in Chicago. The building incorporates a portion of the former East Side Airlines Terminal designed by John B. Peterkin and opened in 1953.
At 1,100,000 square feet (100,000 sq m) it is the largest project of Bernard Spitzer, father of former New York Governor Eliot Spitzer. It occupies a full block between First and Second Avenues and between East 37th and 38th Streets, and overlooks the Manhattan entrance to the Queens-Midtown Tunnel. It has 863 apartments, 125,000 square feet (11,600 sq m) of commercial space on the first through third floors, a 48,000-square-foot (4,500 sq m) garage and roof deck. At the entrance to the building is a cascading, semicircular waterfall fountain and an Aristides Demetrios bronze sculpture, "Peirene." Its lobby is 90 feet (27 m) long and 28 feet (8.5 m) high.