Wimberley started as an empty trading Post settlement near Cypress Creek in 1848, the year Hays County was organized. After William Carvin Winters built a gristmill at the site in 1856, it took on the name Winters' Mill. When the mill was sold in 1864 to the Cude family, its name was changed to Cude's Mill. Wimberley is a small town in Hays County, Texas, United States. Prior to its incorporation in May 2000, it was a census-designated place (CDP). The population was 2,626 at the 2010 census. Wimberley is located at 28 miles (45km) southwest of Austin and 46miles (74km) northeast of San Antonio.