Saginaw is a city in Tarrant County, Texas, United States, and a suburb of Fort Worth. The population is 19,350 based on the 2009 NCTCOG census. It was named in 1882 by Jarvis J. Green, who had lived and worked on Saginaw Street in Pontiac, Michigan. The name Saginaw comes from the Ojibwe language and means "to flow out." It is also the name of a river, a bay, and a city in Michigan. According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 7.5square miles (19.4Square kilometers), all of it land. At the 2000 census, there were 12,374people, 4,229households and 3,450families residing in the city. The population density was 1,649.1per square mile (637.0Square kilometers). There were 4,339housing units at an average density of 578.3per square mile (223.4Square kilometers).